Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm sorry.. What?

So, I was listening to the radio this evening, and there was a "Relationship Expert" on with the host. I thought it'd be interesting, so I listened for awhile.

And I ended up almost wanting to throw something.

I yelled at my radio.

1) A 16 year old boy called in. I have no idea what his relationship question was, because all he said was "I'm 16 years old, and I've been in a relationship with this girl.." and the host cut in saying "End it. Now." and the "Relationship Expert" said "How long have you been in a relationship with her?" and he responded "About 6 months" and they both said "End it.". And their reasons were that he's too young to be in a serious relationship.

I'm sorry, but if there's a teenage guy who wants to be in a relationship, and is able to do so.. You should be encouraging him, not telling him that he needs to not be in one. Because by telling him to get out of the relationship... That's kinda encouraging him to whore around. "Don't be seriously tied down to one girl, when you can just go around to as many girls around that you can"... I don't know why that was considered good advice.

Granted, there are some people who shouldn't necessarily even be in a relationship, but that should be advice along the lines of "don't be with anyone, focus on yourself and mature yourself so that you're ready for a real relationship"... Not just to get out of the serious relationship to "experience" things.

2) A guy called in saying that he had gotten out of a three year relationship about 3 months before, and now he was "dating random girls, and that whenever he wanted it to be more serious, the girl would back off".... And the advice he received was, and I kid you not, "You're 20 years old, you must have had some trauma and trust issues in your past to want a serious and committed relationship at this age".... What? Because someone in their early 20's wants a serious relationship, and not just to "play around", means that there's something wrong with them?


I yelled at my radio both times. With Mae as my witness.

I know that certain people have different opinions about relationships, trust me, I know. But really? Wanting a committed relationship is a bad thing? Telling someone that they're too young to want something real, instead to just... I don't get it.

It makes me sad that this is the type of advice that people are getting! And they wonder why the divorce rate is going up..

Oi vey.

Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: