Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Mild Rant (take little or no offense)

Recently, I've found myself surrounded by a certain type of people.
And it's not non-Christians..
It's not unmotivated people..
And it's not selfish people..

But I'm suddenly surrounded by smokers.

Everywhere!
In all of my different circles, there's at least one person that smokes now. Sometimes more than one.

And it's driving me crazy.

Honestly, if they want to kill themselves, that's fine. There's nothing I can do about it

If they think it's cool.. Then boy, are they living in the wrong decade.

If they want to always smell disgusting.. Well, I really hope they eventually learn to use Febreeze and gum.

If they think it's attractive.. Then at least they'll probably only attract other smokers, so that'll get all smokers off the market..


There's just absolutely nothing enticing about sticking a cancer stick in your mouth. I don't get it.
I feel like I smell like cigarettes because of how often I'm around them now.

And I have never smoked or touched a cigarette, so the smell is not because I'm doing anything with them!

Why smoke?

Everyone that smokes HAS to know that it's bad for them. There's no excuse for someone to say "Oh, I didn't know it was bad".

My aunt died from lung cancer from smoking. Smoking kills.

Is it like a form of self mutilation? Is it the "big kids" way of cutting oneself? Because people that cut themselves KNOW it's bad for them, yet they still do it. And for most of them to stop, they have to get help. Hey smokers - get help! There's nothing wrong about asking for help! There's patches, gum, support groups.. Just ask!

Is smoking just a sign of someone that's weak?

If it's how you cope with things going on.. Then gosh, that's just sad, isn't it? Why not run? Or read? Or call someone? Or pray? Do something productive instead of something that's killing you.

Wear a WWJD bracelet. Would Jesus smoke? Heck no.

1 Corinthians 6 tells us that our body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. We are to HONOR God with our body. How does smoking and filling your lungs with tar honor God?

And maybe it's just me, but my opinion of people automatically decreases when I see a cigarette in their hand. And as long as they have those cigarettes as a part of their lives.. It will always be in the back of my mind, sometimes even the front. And we're supposed to live our lives above reproach.. And we should be known as living our lives relying of Christ for everything.. So if someone sees us with a cigarette in our mouth, whether it's "just to relieve stress" or not.. Well, shouldn't we be relieving our stress in a God pleasing way? Heck, why not spend the time that you're sucking tar into your lungs reading the Bible instead?

When someone smokes, it really is one of the first things I think about in association with them. My aunt died when I was in first grade, so I really didn't get to know her. However, other than explaining her actual relation to me and everyone else.. The first thing I think of is how she smoked. And how whenever we visited her and her kids, I knew that the first thing we'd be doing when we got home was taking a bath and washing everything that we'd brought down there, because they reeked of cigarettes. I wish I knew more about her. But what I do know is that visiting Aunt Sue meant that I wouldn't get to sleep with my blankie that night because it'd be in the wash.

I guess I just really, truly don't get the disgusting habit. I wish someone could explain it to me.

Mild rant. Because I'm seeing and smelling cigarettes everywhere..

And it just makes me sad.

Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: