Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week.. With a smile.

To say that this week was just like any other week would be a lie. A very, very big lie.

But it's a Saturday afternoon, it's not raining at this exact second, and I can't help but laugh and be grateful.

God has a sense of humor, and if you don't think that's true, then you've been worshiping the wrong god.


We all know what a normal eyeball looks like..

Well, this was my eye on Tuesday.

I have a thing for being horrible at car maintenance.

For example, the first time I had to get my brakes changed, this is what my brake pads looked like:


And this is what a brand new brake pad looks like.

Needless to say, I haven't gotten any better at maintenance over the years.. So I got my brakes done on Wednesday (that took until Thursday) which required new brake pads and rotors on my front wheels, costing about $300.

And then.. The highlight of my week.. I got into an accident yesterday.

This is what my car looked like when I got it in August of 2007.

And this is what it looks like now.

P.S. I also put new tires on all four wheels two weeks ago.


It was ridiculously emotional to clean out my car yesterday. This was my first car. My first big purchase. The end of high school, the start of the "real world". So many memories in that car. Good and bad. And it was a ridiculous bummer.

BUT! There are some random things to be thankful for!

1 - My car registration is due in November, and I hadn't paid it yet. That's about $130 that I could have paid and would have basically gone right down the drain.

2 - I needed gas. It was going to be my first stop after work. So that's $50 I didn't spend.

3 - AAA got there very fast, so I was only in tears on the side of the freeway for about 20 minutes.

4 - It was down the freeway from work, and everyone was very willing to come help me and get me and do whatever I needed. It was so reassuring to know that if my mom or someone couldn't come help me, that I would still be in good hands.

**Sidenote: I called my office to say I'd be late/wasn't coming in before I called my mom, dad, AAA, tow truck, 911.. I'm not sure what normal protocol is there. But I feel like I probably should have called my mom first. It all worked out fine, but I still find it kind of entertaining. The other lady was asking for my driver's license, and I handed it to her and said "I'll be right back, I need to call the office".. Hahah..

5 - My mom was able to come get me. I've dealt with minor fender benders, but never has it been to the point of needing a tow truck. I had no clue where we were going to need to take my car. But my mom was able to leave where she was and come get me and handle it. There are some days when I'm super independent and think I can do everything on my own, and then there are days when I just want my mommy. Yesterday was one of those days. Love you, mom!

**Sidenote: My mom saved me on Wednesday as well when I was in tears at the brake place because they were keeping my car overnight and I didn't know how I was going to get home and how I was going to be able to keep housesitting.. And mom was able to come get me (Jenna tried, but she went to the wrong brake place.. Hahah She tried though, and I love her for it!) and figure out the plan as we were a car down.

**Extra Sidenote: On Wednesday when I called my mom to explain the brake ordeal, I was in tears, sobbing that "They have my car and I don't know what we'll do about housesitting cuz they won't give it to me and I was trying to be good and get my brakes done and.." and my mom was like "Are you okay?" and I responded "Yeah, I'm okay, BUT..".. Well, later that day my mom mentioned that when I call her in hysterics, I need to START the phone call with "I'm okay, but.." and then go into the saga. So yesterday, when I called to tell my mom I was on the side of the freeway cuz I totaled my car, I started out the conversation the way we discussed "Mom, I'm okay, but.. I was in a car accident and I can't drive it and the CHP is here and the other lady..".. That was probably a phone call where.. Well.. I kinda wasn't okay exactly.. But I started it out the right way!

6 - I wasn't injured. I have chemical burns on one of my arms from the air bags (which, if you've never experienced airbags.. consider yourself lucky. The yellow smoke and smell was almost more terrifying than the glass cracking and not knowing if my car was going to explode or not..). I also have a light bruise from the seatbelt and a little bruise on my stomach, but it's not too bad. I'm sore today a little bit, but I know it could all be a lot worse.

7 - Seatbelt and airbags! I know I just complained about the airbags, but I am thankful for them! Everything would have been a lot worse if I didn't have airbags or a seat belt!

8 - The CHP officer that came was ridiculously nice! He was very much concerned about making sure both parties involved were okay, and he could have had an attitude that could have easily made the whole thing be so much worse.

9 - I received countless phone calls, texts, Facebook messages, Tweets, emails, etc checking on me. I was exhausted after the adrenaline wore off, so if I didn't respond, I apologize. But I am so thankful for everyone that reached out! More importantly, I'm thankful for the prayers that came with the messages. Knowing that I had people praying for me was so comforting and reassuring.

10 - God was watching out for me. I have no doubt in my mind. And it's only because of Him that I can actually find the good things in this whole crummy situation. It's all a part of His plan and I can't wait to see what unfolds because of it.


I'll miss my car.. But it was just a car.

I'm fine, and I'm thankful for that!


Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: