Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Unexpected Dilemna

I went to the doctor today to have them look at my eyeballs. After she diagnosed my with conjunctivitis (aka pink eye), she asked me if I had any other health related questions.

It'd been a few years since I'd asked this particular question, so I figure I might as well take a chance, see what the new theories are.

"Well, I've had this case of the hiccups for a long time. But they're not normal hiccups.. Anything for that?"

Now, for those of you creeping on my page who haven't hung out with me in awhile or haven't been around me for more than an hour at a time.. I have the hiccups. It's not the normal hiccups that last for twenty minutes that come every 30-60 seconds. It's one or two hiccups every hour to a half hour. Every single day. Since I turned 13. I'm now 21. That's 8 years (going on 9 in February).

When I was 16, I was at the doctor at mentioned the hiccups, and the explanation was "It's just part of growing up"..

That's an acceptable excuse when I'm 16, but I'm 21 now. Time for a new reason, please.

Today, my doctor gave me a prescription! To get rid of them! She prescribed me metoclopramide. After doing some research online, there's nothing about hiccups and such. She said that they use it a lot for people that get nauseous when they eat or something. But, this is what they prescribe for people that walk into the clinic when they've had "normal" hiccups for like, a week straight and stuff.

Anyways, so I'm sitting here in bed, staring at the bottle. And I can't decide if I want to take them.

My hiccups have been a part of my life now for about 40% of my existence.

They don't define me, I know that.

And I've always been willing to try any old wives tale (drink water upside down, etc), but in the back of my head I was always going into it knowing that I wasn't expecting it to work.

But this.. It could really, really work. A doctor has given me something that could actually get rid of them.

My hiccups have always been great ice breakers.

They hold a lot of memories.. There's a duck in the tree! (haha even though those were Michelle's hiccups) Where's my brown french fry!? You just swallowed your laugh! How is that possible!?

Selah's had them for three years longer than me.. Maybe SHE should take the pills!

Hmm.. It's just weird to think about. Do I want to really take a chance at really getting rid of them?

Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: