Friday, December 31, 2010

30 things about me to close out the year :)

I wrote this a few weeks ago on another site, and I kinda like how it came out, so I've decided to post it here.

30 semi-interesting, potentially boring, maybe informative things about me :)


1 - When we cleaned out my car after I totaled it, we found 5 cell phones in there. None were active, and only 3 were ones that I’ve personally used. I can’t remember where the other 2 came from.

2 - I have been studying and learning as much as possible about Mormonism recently. Not because I plan on converting to Mormonism, but because my heart has been aching for the people of that group of people. And by studying Mormonism, it has only helped me grow in my faith more and more.

3 - I will be perfectly okay with not having kids. If, for some reason, I physically am unable to have munchkins, I doubt it would phase me. Not because I don’t like kids - I love them! But I’ve always had a soft spot towards adoption. And the older I get, the more and more excited I get about getting closer to being old enough and stable enough to do so! I can’t wait to show abandoned kids my love, God’s love, and to just smother them in love and hugs. If it’s in God’s plan for me to have my own kids, that’s fine, too. But I am really okay with the idea of not having them.

4 - I’m not as attached to my cell phone as I used to be - and I love it! I let myself leave my phone in the car while at work (and I don’t go back to get it). I’ll put my phone on silent and upside for a few hours on Saturday. I let myself read a text, and not respond for a few hours. I’m enjoying disconnect a few times a week.

5 - My hiccups (that I’ve had for almost 9 years) go through phases. They never go away, but every few weeks they go haywire and happen at a higher pitch and more frequently.. And they hurt! It’s weird.

6 - I love one on one time with people. I’m a social person and I can do the groups and parties.. But I love the intimacy and connection when you get one on one time with someone. Whether it’s something that happens with someone once a week or once a year.. I love it.

7 - I get so happy when I mix my different groups of friends - I tend to call it “mixing my worlds”. There’s just something about mixing my church friends that I’ve known since birth and my school friends that I’ve known since elementary school that fills me up with joy! Maybe it’s cuz I kept them separate for so long. I used to absolutely dread the idea of one person meeting everyone from the other group.. But I love it now. Disneyland? Movies? Dinner? It can work in all situations. I just love it.

8 - Sometimes I say that I hate my hair.. But honestly, I love it. I know that I was extremely blessed with the hair I have.

9 - My sisters and I are a lot closer now than we ever have been. Even with Selah being married, we’re all close. There’s a chance she’s gonna be moving to the other side of the country shortly. Which will be weird, but I think it’ll bring all three of us closer.

10 - Speaking of moving.. I’ve been thinking quite a bit recently about what I would do if I moved somewhere.. And I’ve come to the realization that I will be completely fine no matter where I am. I love my friends, but I don’t need to live around them. I love my family, but we’re not around any other family living here, so getting together for the holidays and such isn’t a big deal. If I’m supposed to live in Florida or Indiana.. Or even China or Egypt.. I’m totally game.

11 - I wish I could sing. I love to sing. Love, love, LOVE it. But, I know I’m not good at it. I desperately wish I could. My friends tease me about it, but I love how singing worship songs at church as loud as I want is totally fine, though. You’re allowed to sing, no matter what, and God still loves it!

12 - I’ve almost always had one male best friend in my life at any given time. I know girls call each other “best friends” all the time, and I probably have more “best friends” than some people. But when it comes to guys, that title tends to only belong to one, maybe two at a time (and it’s normally only two because it’d be a church bff and a school bff). Cory, Harrison, Craig, and Phill. My only time since I was 13 without one was between Craig and Phill. These are four boys that will always, always have a special spot in my heart. Each friendship has been drastically different from each other, but they’ve all changed my life. And when I end up finding a guy to to marry, those four boys are going to be the ones that have helped me decide what type of guy I want him to be - for the good and the bad.

13 - Recently, I’ve decided to change what I allow myself to watch. I’ve always been pretty careless with it, because I’m not easily influenced and not I figure I’ve seen some of the “worst” stuff that’s out there, so nothing will be new to me. But, I’ve decided I don’t want that. I don’t want to watch anything that I’d be ashamed or embarrassed to tell anyone about.

14 - I am very picky with music. If I can’t understand the words, forget it! When I buy a new CD, the first time through I will sit there with the CD cover reading the words as it plays over the speakers. When someone tells me “hey, listen to this song!” the first thing I do is look up the lyrics on Google.

15 - I try not to be judgmental, but I’m not as good at the as I’d like to be. There are two things that I tend to be more judgmental at than anything else: tattoos and red hair. Because it’s harder to come up with 30 things, I’m going to add those as two more points.

16 - I can’t stand dumb tattoos. And not just dumb tattoos, but just tattoos that aren’t going to mean anything to someone in five years. Don’t get a tattoo because you’re heartbroken - it’s only going to constantly remind you of that person and then be something awkward to explain to your next significant other (because, believe it or not, you will get over the break up). Or negative tattoos. Why would you get something negative on your body forever? Maybe people forget that they’re permanent? Because laser removal is more and more common? I don’t know.. I just know that I spent years.. YEARS thinking about my tattoo. And I’m not just saying that. You can look at notes that I took in classes all throughout high school, and my design is splattered over notes everywhere.

17 - I’m only judgmental about redheads when they try and pass as a real redhead. I know that sounds dumb.. But don’t pretend. It’s really awkward when a fake redhead strikes up a conversation with me about being a redhead. You are not one, don’t pretend.

18 - My parents are the only people in both their families in two generations to have only been married once - amazing, huh? Both of their parents were/are divorced and remarried. All of their siblings have been married and divorced, and a bunch of them have been married and divorced more than once. Pretty insane and awesome. Just goes to show what can happen when your marriage is God-centered. They’re going on 31 years.

19 - I have no fear of getting divorced. I really don’t. Divorced is not in my vocabulary or mindset when I think of my future. And some people might call that naive or a pipe dream, but I’ve seen marriages that have flourished, and I’ve seen marriages that have failed, and they all have one thing in common - God was not at the center of their lives. The wife might be living a godly life, and the husband might look it.. But if the husband cheats, that’s not a God centered marriage because he wasn’t focused on God. Or a lot of the time, a divorce will happen because it was grounded in faith (or the right faith) from the get-go.

20 - I didn’t go to prom and I only went to one winter formal in high school. And I remember being told at the time that I would regret it. It’s now four years later, and I still have no regrets about not going. My friends still talk about the drama that surrounded every single one of those events.. And guess what? I had no drama! I had fun with the people I decided to hang out with those nights instead! I wish people would tell high schoolers today that the four years in high school (socially and stuff) really won’t affect you for life. We spent 7 years in elementary school, that didn’t affect us for life. The 4 years in high school didn’t either.

21 - I am extremely protective of Phill. I think it’s entertaining. He has pretty much no emotion about anything that happens to him, yet for me it’s horrible. He puts up with me (although he doesn’t call it “putting up with”), and I am forever thankful for that boy.

22 - I am convinced that the people in the Philippines are the nicest people in the world. When I went there last January, my eyes were opened to how the default expressions of Americans isn’t a smile, and how the people in the Philippines is! It was such a pleasant surprise!

23 - I’ve been loving learning about Jehovah’s Witnesses and Catholicism in college group recently. Much like my #2 fact, it has just helped me grow in my own faith. I was shocked that I knew more about Catholic theology and practices than my friends that claim to be Catholic.

24 - I’m not a holiday person. More specifically, not a Christmas person. I blogged about it last year, you can read it here :)

25 - I love Disneyland. I hate going to Disney with an odd number of people though - no one wants to sit on a ride alone! I’m fine with going to Disney for just specific things: I just want clam chowder in a bread bowl, I just want to ride Pirates, I just want to see Fantasmic. Harrison and I used to go to Disney every single Wednesday and just ride the train for hours and hours and talk.

26 - I wish I could visit Mr. Baker at La Quinta still.

27 - I have this fear that the guy I end up marrying will be one of the few guys in the world that can’t wait for a huge wedding. I want to elope. I really, truly do. I’ve never dreamed about the long flowing dress or the flowers and the location. If anything, I’ve only ever hyperventilated over thinking about who to pick as bridesmaids, what style dresses, what type of food, etc. I just want it to be me, my man, and whoever can make it to Vegas with 24 hours notice. But what am I going to do if the guy is an only child and his parents have been waiting for his wedding day forever? And they have 489 people to invite? Do I want to start out on the wrong foot with the in laws? Hopefully my guy will have the type of relationship with his parents (and me) to be able to remind his parents (in love), that the wedding is our day, not theirs, and if eloping is what we want, it’s what we’re going to do.

28 - There are quite a number of people that I would love to delete off of Facebook and Twitter because of how negative they are. I might love them in real life, but virtually.. I want to strangle them.

29 - I love to read. When someone asks me what I want for Christmas or my birthday, my default choice is normally a gift card to Barnes and Noble or Borders. My friend Ben worked at a used book store for a couple years, and I regret not taking advantage of his awesome discount the whole time! I have a Kindle that used to come with me everywhere, but my Kindle now syncs up with my laptop, Blackberry, and iPod Touch, so I don't have to use the actual Kindle all the time. Basically, I have books with me all the time because of Amazon :) I went through a phase when I couldn't put these books by a certain author down, so I'd even read them while I was driving (hah! The government takes my texting away, but they haven't taken away my reading!).. But after a few close calls, I quit that habit. And now I have a lot of books on audio which is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Basically, I love reading. And when I can't read, I still want to read, so I listen to someone else reading :) However, I'm horrible at reading assigned books. I was the queen of Spark Notes in high school, because I hate being forced to read. I think that's why so many kids hate reading, because they've been forced to "read for 30 minutes every night" since elementary school.

30 - I don't know what I want to do with my life, but I would love to end up (fifty years down the road or something) in the mission field. Even if that's where I'm supposed to be in 3 years, 10 years, I'm totally game. I remember this thing we had to do in like, 5th grade where we had to write down things about "where I'll be in 1 year", "where I'll be in 5 years", "where I'll be in 10 years", and a few more. I don't remember what I wrote for 10 years (I think the two "earlier" predictions were something along the lines of "high school"), but I remember saying that "I want to retire and become a missionary". And I drew a picture of the world with two people holding hands, standing on the world, symbolizing that they were game to go anywhere they were called to go. I'm so game.

Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: