Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 2 - Recap

I know, this is a day late. But.. Better late than never!

So.. On Sunday..

- We left the hotel in Williams, NV around 9 AM.

- We only got gas once, and it was in the middle of the Grand Canyon. Surprisingly, gas was still cheaper than it is at home right now!

- Drove a total of 324 miles.

- Hit 7 freeways/highways.. We think.

- Drove in Nevada and New Mexico.

- We spent about an hour or two in the Grand Canyon. This was my (Kelsey) first time, and my dad's second time, and his last visit was when he was 9.. First thought was "holy cow, that is THE Grand Canyon!". We pulled over an either drove through or actually got off of the bike at most of the turn outs. By the third or fourth turn out though, it was like "Oh look! Same hole, same mountain, different view!". Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful! But it was just funny. I loved it when you could actually see the Colorado River running through the canyon, though.

- At one of the turn outs, there was a "baby version" of dad's bike sitting there. Not really a baby, but the non luxury touring version of the bike. Same color and everything! Talked to the guy and his friends (two of his friends were here from England)..

- We walked around a bit at the Watchtower. Basically, it's this tower in the middle of the park that someone built that was supposed to give you the best view of the whole canyon.. And it wasn't supposed to like, draw attention to itself, because it's all about the Grand Canyon. The tower really does blend in well with everything.

- It was during our time at the Watchtower that my cell phone decided to have a spazz attack and totally died on me (but the battery wasn't dead when I'd last looked at it, so it didn't make sense..). If you know me even remotely, you know that I tend to be attached to my cell phone 23.5 hours a day.. So this was cause for a mild heart attack. Once we got back on the bike and I charged it for like 20 minutes, it started acting normal again.

- Had lunch at the little food area near the Watchtower.

- Oh! While at the Watchtower, I heard SO MANY British accents! This made me so happy! I was emailing a friend and mentioned that maybe the Grand Canyon is where people came if they didn't get an invite to the Royal Wedding.. It was funny, because I'm used to people coming to the US and going to New York to see a play, or Orange County to go to Disneyland and the beach.. I forget that the Grand Canyon is kinda a big deal, so of course there'd be tons of international tourists!

- It sprinkled a bit in the afternoon, just barely. Not enough for us to decide to get off the bike and put on all of our rain gear..

- The wind was acting up again and was a pain. But, I feel like that might be the norm for these states that we're venturing through!

- Got into Gallup, New Mexico around 4:30 or so. The main strip that we came in on had pretty every fast food joint you could possibly think of. It made me laugh. However, there was no Chipotle. In fact, now that I think about it, I haven't seen a single Chipotle on this entire trip!

- Stayed at the "Quality Inn", which was conveniently located within a hop, skip, and a jump of Cracker Barrel. This was my first time at one of these places, and it was good! (For you California folks who never make it East of Vegas, it's just good ol' country cooking. And they're like, EVERYWHERE outside of California, it seems like) I can't remember the name of the game.. But while waiting for our food, my dad and I played this game where pieces that looked like golf tees were in pegs in a triangle shaped board. We played a lot of rounds of the game, and still never finished it with only one peg left..

- I posted this on my Facebook, but after we got back last night and I looked through all of my pictures of the Grand Canyon I learned that it is down right IMPOSSIBLE to take a bad picture of that place! Seriously! No matter what angle, no matter how zoomed in you are.. Even if it's just of a random tree.. They're all beautiful!

- Fell asleep to an episode of the Office. Just like at home (for me) :)

I think that's it for my Day 2 recap!

Day 3 recap coming shortly!

- Kelsey

Posted via email from Adventures of a Family on a Motorcycle

No comments: