Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 6 - Recap

So, my dad was able to use his Blackberry for tethering to get the laptop to hook up to the internet. However, I was too tired last night to take advantage of it.. Which is why this is coming on Friday morning/afternoon. I'm actually being creative with how I'm posting this now... Because I'm typing on the laptop, but my dad took his cell phone with him.. So I'm typing this in Notepad, going to save it my Blackberry via USB, then I'll copy/paste it to send via email.. Hahah.. You probably don't care, but, I'm the one typing the blogs, so I can tell you that :)


So now, what did we do yesterday?

- Left St. Louis around 8:20AM.

- Drove a total of 336 miles.

- Got gas 3 times.

- Drove in Missourri, Illinois , and Indiana.

- Traveled on only 4 freeways/highways.

- We passed over the Mississippi River on the way out of St. Louis, and you can see the St. Louis arch on the way out (which made me happy), so I snapped a bunch of pictures.. Unfortunately, about half of them were ruined by the support beams on the bridge over the river.. Hahaha..

- The weather was must like it was the day before, maybe just a littl warmer.

- Listened to the radio the whole day, instead of my iPod. In most of the other cities, the radio has been hysterical! Well, at least compared to California radio. Normally, at home, the popular stations are the same 20 songs played over and over and over again, interrupted by celebrity gossip. However, on the radio that we've been listening to, it's been "Bob and Sally are selling their Kenmore washer and dryer. The washer needs a little work, but the dryer works perfectly. They're hoping for $500 for the set, or best offer." And when it's not being used as a garage sale, it's country songs about being a Mr. Mom or being a liar. Did hear a little bit about Superman renouncing his US Citizenship, and deciding to be a citizen of the world instead? And apparently, the IRS can continue to tax you for 10 (or 7, I can't remember) years AFTER you renounce your citizenship. So.. Yep.

- Also, one other entertaining thing is what we hear in our helmets! Sometimes, they pick up the radio chatter between the semi trucks along the route. Sometimes they're talking about the weather, sometimes how heavy their trucks are.. But we definitely encountered a preacher truck driver. At first, I thought we had just stumbled upon a Christian radio station.. But nope. It was definitely a truck driver, preaching about which commandments are most important and talking about Saul/Paul. It was entertaining.

- We drove past a HUGE cross in Effingham, Illinois. I looked it up later, and apparently it's 198 feet tall! There's one in Groom, Texas that's 190 feet tall, so this is currently the tallest one. Insane.

- Made it to our family in Indiana! My dad's sister (Linda), her husband (Bob), and their daughters (Erika, Katie, and Kelly)! I last saw Aunt Linda at Selah's wedding in May of 2008, but before that, I think we figured out that I hadn't seen my cousins and uncle in 8 years. Kelly was at a track meet, so we didn't get to see her :( But, I got to spend some time with Aunt Linda, Erika, and Katie! Dad and Uncle Bob talked and stuff (I have no idea where they were most of the time we were there!). It was awesome to talk and catch up. And so awesome to hear and see how much they all love the Lord. It was so cool, that even though we live 2000 miles apart, barely see each other, and only talk via Facebook, we all love Christ and can just get together and talk about all He's doing in our lives and share our joy in Him together!

- Only got to spend like, 2 hours with them, unfortunately! But the time we did have was awesome! Hopefully it won't be another 8 years before our next catch up!

- P.S. Took some sibling/cousin/family photos! It was mildly impossible to get us to stop laughing the whole time we were taking pictures, and I think the pictures are very, very evident of that! I'll post more pictures later of it.. But it was awesome, and I'm glad we captured those moments!!

- Left there, and it started raining! Not any worse than it did on the way into St. Louis, so that was a blessing. It only lasted for maybe 15 minutes.. Then it was pretty dry the rest of the way to Winona Lake!

- Dad gave me a tour of Winona Lake, which took about.. 2 minutes. Very.. quaint. Showed me Grace College, the missions building, the CE National campus.. And then we made it to the place where we're staying - the Philemon house around 7ish. We're downstairs in the basement. But this basement is way more of an apartment then a basement! Three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room. Plus a washer and dryer.

- After we unloaded all of our stuff, we left to go find some dinner. Ended up at the Golden Corral. It was delicious. Then went to the grocery store to grab some stuff to have in the "apartment" we'll be in until Tuesday morning. As I posted before, we ran into Adriane in the parking lot! That tells you how small this town is, I think :)

- Came back to the house, relaxed, and then fell asleep!


It's now 2 in the afternoon on Friday. Dad's at the first of several meetings he has over the next few days, and I'm getting ready to go out with Adriane. Thinking of running over to the bookstore at Grace to buy a book or two..

Not sure how exciting or plentiful the posts will be in the next few days, as we're not going anyplace, just hanging out or having meetings.. We'll see!

Thanks for all of the prayers over the last week! I'm pretty much done with my part of the motorcycle travel! Just one more 6-ish hour day (to Ohio!!) on Tuesday, and then I'll only travel by car or plane! My parents still have some intense bike days (from Ohio to Tennessee, and then from Tennessee home), but we're about half-ish way done!

Also, I think my dad turned off his Google Maps for while we're here - which means Spotwalla probably won't be showing us. We're just hanging out in Winona Lake! He might have it on right now, but if we disappear.. That's why!
Sent from my Blackberry :)

Posted via email from Adventures of a Family on a Motorcycle

No comments: