Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 3 - Recap

Finished up our day 3 adventures a few hours ago. We've just been relaxing in the motel.

- We left Gallup, NM around 8:15 AM.

- We got gas twice.

- Drove a total of 427 miles.

- Hit 8 freeways/highways (or 12, if you count the fact that one of them had 5 names..)

- Drove just in New Mexico.

- Today, we just drove and drove and drove and drove and drove.

- The weather was really windy, again. And this time there was more rain than yesterday. We road for awhile in the rain, and then finally decided to pull off the highway and put on our rain gear. By the time we got back on the highway.. The rain stopped. Of course. But, it was nice to have an extra layer of jacket on to block the wind some more.

- Stopped in Albuquerque at a Walmart. I needed sunglasses. Somewhere between the Grand Canyon and Gallup, my sunglasses decide to fall out of my jacket. Sunglasses tend to be an essential accessory to my being, so getting new ones was a fantastic idea of my father's :) 

- If you're a friend of mine on Facebook, you've probably seen me post "awkward art pictures" before. The business park where my building is for work has awkward art all over the place. Seriously. Like, a random amoeba looking thing, a bull in the entrance lobby, and this silver.. thing.. in the center plaza.. Anyways, after this trip and traveling through the different states, I've decided that whoever choses our art must be from one of these other states, because they have the most RANDOM pieces of art ALL OVER! In the middle of highways and major streets in New Mexico, there's giant vases. And just random metal objects. And old, rusted tractor parts become art as well.. It's just very... unique. Maybe I'm just not an artist, so I can't appreciate it all. But, I do know that I am entertained :)

- We stopped in Las Vegas for gas and lunch. No, this is not THE Las Vegas. This is the wanna be Las Vegas. This is the very sad attempt at Las Vegas. Apparently, it's "historic" Las Vegas. This is Las Vegas, New Mexico.

- When we got gas, I asked the ladies behind the counter if they had any local favorites that they could recommend. They mentioned a restaurant down the street, and when we drove passed, it had something called the "Flamingo Room".. We passed on that. And while I was in the gas station, a guy in there was like "Oh, I own a place called El Fidel down the street. We have gourmet New Mexican food." Yes. New Mexican food. Not good ol' Mexican food, but NEW Mexican food. When I asked the difference, I got blank stares for a few moments. I explained that I'm from Southern California, so I've had lots of Regular Mexican food, but didn't know about New Mexican food. The two ladies looked at each other and said "It's spicier".. Apparently, that's the only difference between Mexican food and New Mexican food, if you were curious! :)

- Had lunch at Subway. I know, very adventurous. But, as a pescetarian, I love veggie sandwiches. They did not have fresh avocado though, it was like, guacamole/avocado in a pouch. Very odd.

- We took our rain gear off when we got gas in Sad-Attempt-At-Vegas, and then a few hours after we got back on the bike, it started raining a lot more. But, at this point I think, we just pushed it through and sucked up the wetness for awhile, because we were so close!

- Last night, we'd decided that maybe we'd go a little further than Clayton, New Mexico, and spend the night in Texas somewhere. But when we pulled into Clayton, I think we were both ready to call it a night. There's only like, 5 places to stay in town, and my only request was that the place we decide to stay needs to not look like it would be the setting for a scary movie (believe me, we passed a few).

- We've ended up at this cute little motel called Holiday Motel. It kinda looked like a possible location that could host a scary movie or two.. But.. Then I saw a baby elephant statue out front. And then we went inside, and the lady had a big, friendly puppy dog behind the counter (who jumped up ON the counter). And then when she showed us what the room looked like, there was a towel folded in the shape of an elephant with sunglasses on. So we stayed.

- Dad posted below about how it started hailing when he moved the bike under the drive way covering thing. And right now, as I've been typing this, it has been thundering and lightning-ing up a storm! (Hah! Literally..) We looked up how to tell the distance that a lightning has struck from you.. And it looks like you count from the time you see the flash to when you hear the thunder, and then divide it by 5. Well, I just counted between the last flash and sound.. And I got to 3 seconds. Guess it's a little close!

The next few days are supposed to be pretty wet and windy.. If anyone feels like praying for sunny skies, it'd be much appreciated! :) If not, then just for continued safety would be good, too!

We're headed to Wichita, KS tomorrow! Hopefully we'll stop for a minute or two in Texas, just to take a picture and say that we were there! When we get to Wichita, we'll be staying with my dad's cousin, Bev! And, I get to see my dear friend Miss Lindsey Marie while I'm there, and I am so excited!

Hopefully I'll update again tomorrow! I must say, I love technology and how I'm able to post pictures right from the back of the motorcycle!

Posted via email from Adventures of a Family on a Motorcycle

No comments: