Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Suffering, it's gonna happen.

I don't know how many times I've heard sermons about suffering.

Some preachers approach it in a "YOU WILL SUFFER!" attitude, some address it in a "well, we deserve it, so we're going to suffer", and then others don't talk about it. They don't want to talk about the wrathful side of God and the "ugly" side of our faith.

I don't like calling it the ugly side. Because honestly, it's the side we deserve.

Every single time a pastor addresses it, I get excited. Well, excited might not be the right word.. I get.. Impatient.

I can't wait. I want to suffer for Christ. I want to.

But I feel like pastors always say things like "We've all suffered. We all know what it's like to be an outcast and made fun of for our faith".. And I always sit there and think... When?

When have I ever felt that way? And I promise that I was not one of those public school kids that just did the church thing on Sundays and then during the week pretended that I was just another kid. Yes, I had my phases where I did things where I wasn't who I should have been. But I can almost guarantee that anyone that has talked to me for more than an hour knows where my heart lies.

My friends and classmates all knew that I was a believer. But I don't feel like I ever suffered. I always try and genuinely think about when I've felt like a true outcast because of my faith.. At a party when I'm not getting plastered? No, because I'm fine with them knowing that the reason I'm not doing it is because that's not for me because the Bible tells us not to get drunk. Sitting in a room when my friends talk about sex? I don't feel like an outcast because I can't contribute. I'm proud of the fact that I know how to control myself and that there's more to relationships than that. Deciding to leave before other people on a Saturday because I have church the next morning? If they think it's weird, then they know they are more than welcomed to come with me!

Maybe I've just been surrounded by upstanding citizens that are okay with people that are different? No, I haven't been. But I still don't feel like I've suffered.

Have I suffered like losing my house? Losing my parents? Breaking bones? Going broke? Being jobless? No, I haven't. And I'm thankful for that. But even my car accident. Car totaled.. But I don't consider that suffering. That's just a part of life.

But Christ tells us that we will suffer. We will suffer.


Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

2 Timothy 3:12 (ESV)

We will be persecuted. We will suffer.

We will ache, agonize, be wounded, deteriorate, hurt, writhe..

Sounds fun, huh?

You can also look at it as enduring, experiencing, letting it happen...

It's about how you handle it.

2 Timothy 4:7 tells you what you should be able to say before, during and after the suffering.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.


We will suffer. Expect suffering. Be eager for suffering.

Christ tells us that we will suffer, so don't be surprised when it happens.

Posted via email from redheadedblonde's posterous

No comments: